Saturday, August 1, 2009

Zambia & Malawi

Victoria Falls was incredible. Walking next to the Falls, I was wearing a raincoat and an using an umbrella and still got really wet from the mist! There were several rainbows too, but no gold! It's a mile wide and truly one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I am glad that I did the micro flight to see it from the air - gives it a totally different perspective!

We had a lot of fun in Victoria Falls. There was a great club where they played dance music and had guys playing bongo drums live. So cool! The adrenaline package was great. The gorge swing was by far the best...very similar to bungee jumping. The gorge is 120M and there was a 70M free fall which equates to a full 3 seconds before you swing out into the gorge. I jumped off the platform from a handstand position. It was crazy! I hurt my throat screaming so loud! I will try to upload the video if possible! I also off loaded some of my stuff by trading old clothes for souvenirs. Got a really cool wooden giraffe for a pair of capris (I accidentally spilled an entire glass of red wine on them and they were filthy!) and a 3 year old bathing suit. I am getting the hang of haggling with the locals!

Sadly, Trine left the trip in Victoria Falls, so I was supposed to get a new tentmate. Desiree, who teaches pole dancing classes and dances at clubs in Belgium, was going to be my new tent mate. But, she packed like 15 bags and there was no room for me and my stuff in the tent. (She's never traveled before and brought her own blow up mattress! On a safari?!!? Luckily, there was an extra tent so I am now alone. It's really nice to spread out, but I miss Trine!

This week we traveled from Zimbabwe through Zambia and into Malawi. Long days on the truck! Zambia was had some beautiful landscapes, but we didn't spend much time visiting any parks or anything like that. Lindsey, Hannah and I went for a walk outside one of our campsites and we saw giraffes mating! It is definitely mating season in Africa! We pulled over by the side of the road for a restroom stop and as I was using the bathroom, several kids jumped out from hiding in the bush and started laughing at all of us. They get a kick out of all the white people pulling over to pee I guess. It was hilarious.

Lake Malawi is very peaceful...just like a beach without the waves. It's freshwater, so only crocs and hippos to worry about. I tried to do a PADI refresher dive course before Zanzibar and Australia, but they wouldn't let me. Turns out that I need a doctor's note to okay me to dive due to my asthma. So, I snorkled instead. Lots of beautiful blue and yellow fish...luckily no crocs!

I went horseback riding through the forest, village and on the beach yesterday. It was by far the worst experience of this trip! I knew from the minute I met Toots, my horse, that it was going to be a rocky relationship. She had a mind of her own, was inquisitive about everything that moved or didn't move, ate every 5 seconds and completely ignored me. When we started trotting (for those of you not up to speed on my horseback riding experience, I don't really have any!), Toots charged ahead like she was trying to win the Preakness. I freaked out because there were some local children and their mothers carrying stuff on their heads and we were headed straight towards them. My right foot came out of the stirrup and I was screaming. The locals literally dove into the bush by the side of the road because they were scared too! I ended up doing an impressive half jump, half fall off the horse that I couldn't recreate if I tried. It took me several minutes before I calmed down enough to get back on Toots. I kept cussing at her and I know she could tell I was nervous the rest of the 2 1/2 hours on her. I don't know that I will ever get on a horse again. I was ready for a stiff drink after that ordeal!

Last night, a couple of the groups at Kande Beach decided to do a 'garbage bag party'. What is a garbage bag party, you ask? It's when all you are allowed to wear is a garbage bag. Nothing else. It was hilarious. I was amazed at how creative everyone got with theirs! I wore a nice little black cocktail garbage bag with an orange belt. During the party, I nearly swallowed a butterfly! ;)

The bar is right on the beach, along with our tents. It is a beautiful camp ground....spent most of today laying on the beach recovering from wearing a garbage bag all night! This week we head to Tanzania, then over to Zanzibar. Zanzibar is an island off the coast of Tanzania. Should be beautiful. I can't believe that I have been traveling over a month now!

Thanks for all the blog comments. Not able to upload any pictures from this computer! Sorry! Grandmum, glad to hear you are reading along. My love to you! Barbara, congratulations on your new position! I can't believe you are moving to Winston after all these years! Caroline, glad you're reading the blog! Nathalie, happy Switzerland Day! Take care...

5 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed with all that you have seen. I am SO jealous! Africa is a beautiful place and I think you have seen it all. We miss you here in Winston. Toga was last week but I couldn't go... had to work. Jon and I are heading to the beach this weekend for a week of vacation which should be fun. I think Pesti is going to join us for a few days. I love hearing all your stories and cannot wait to do a trip myself after hearing all the cool stuff you have done/seen. Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, glad you're having fun. The horse story scared me and I'm sitting here in my safe little house! Take it easy.
    Deborah Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like an amazing time. That cracks me up about the kids hiding in the bushes! And TOOTS, hahaha. Sounds like the party was fun ; ) We all miss you here in Winston! Thanks for the email a couple weeks ago. I'll link pictures from Toga party with my post again. Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on the horseback riding. Glad you survived Toots. I hear Mendy is catching up with you in Australia and asked her to pack me in her bag, but I know I would be heavy cargo for her. LoL Hope to plan a trip to see you when you get to China. Had a birthday last week and getting older comes with physical limitations--no more running. Going to therapy for both knees. Football season is right around the corner, so go Gators and the Hokies have been predicted to win the ACC again. Now if we can only show up in a bowl game. Take care and I love that we can stay in touch through this blog. --Candi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie- sound like you are having an amazing experience. I know you can rock a garbage bag like no other and that sounds like a few of the parties in G-ville- if only we would have thought of it! I love reading your experiences and BE CAREFUL!! No more horseback, perhaps donkeys would be better?? Saving up the airline miles to visit China and my new place in Scottsdale is always open for you to visit. All settled into the west coast. Be careful!!

    ReplyDelete