Monday, August 24, 2009

Sydney & Blue Mountains





Here are my titles for the posted pictures: 'Where's Mendy?!','Sunset with the Sydney Harbour Bridge', 'Mendy and Jamie Drink Wine at the Opera Bar' and 'Jamie is Bored Waiting for the Trolley in the Blue Mountains!' Notice the sandals with white socks....I'm trying to start a new fashion trend down under!

The Bridge Climb was an awesome experience. We had perfect weather and spent close to 2 hours at the top of the bridge. The bridge climb process was a Six Sigma work of art - I've never seen a more well organized and perfectly executed process! We had to do a breathalyzer test before they'd let us climb. I've never had to blow in one of those before, so that was a new experience! The climb was over 1400 steps and got up to 440ish feet at the very top. It was beautiful to see a 360 degree view of the city! After a long day of climbing, we celebrated by having a fantastic dinner at the Opera Bar which is right in front of the Opera House and across from the bridge at the Harbour. Awesome cityscape views, including the evening ritual of the local bats flying overhead from the botanical gardens out to catch their dinner (just like in Austin, TX for those of you who have seen the bats fly there...these are much larger bats though!).

We went to the Blue Mountains today. The weather wasn't great - cold and rainy. We had to buy gear to survive! It was a beautiful area - lots of waterfalls, open valleys, the famous Three Sisters peaks. Mendy was smart and rested at the top enjoying the rainbows in the valley while I did the 'Great Stairwell' path. It was insane. At one point I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest. The climb was very steep...I was the only one on the path, so it was cool to hear all of the noises from the animals in the surrounding wilderness. When I finally realized that a) I might die because I am so out of shape from riding in a truck for 6 weeks in Africa with virtually no exercise and b) I was all alone walking straight down a mountain...I gave up. So, I didn't make it to the bottom, but I am here to write about it which is a good thing I guess!

We're off to Hunter Valley tomorrow for two days of wineries and relaxation. I can't wait! Will write more once we get up to Port Douglas (Great Barrier Reef) later in the week. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. The climb looks awesome. Are the steps along the arch all the way to the top? That's amazing. Did you take pictures from the top?

    How fancy to go see a classic opera at the most famous opera house (excluding West End Opera House of course!).

    And Mendy, you get a big pat on the back for running on your vacation... and making Jamie run with you! You go girls!

    Wow I'm checking your clock at the bottom, can't believe it's already Tuesday morning where you are. I'm just finishing up at work on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimbo!! E-mail me if you want me to give you the number of my buddies over there. They're all in the Melbourne area. Great guys some of my bests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat----if you're reading this e-mail me! Your e-mail address wouldn't work. jranderson44@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete