Sunday, August 9, 2009

Malawi & Tanzania

Hi! This is going to be quick because I have to catch a ferry back to Dar es Salaam in a few minutes! I had a great update ready that I wrote on the truck, but this internet cafe doesn't have Word, so my update would read %&*(*(#*$ which isn't very understandable! The good, the bad and the ugly: the good - Zanzibar is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I went on a full day snorkel trip to Mnemba Atoll yesterday, and I will forever remember the crystal clear water, white sand and beautiful reefs. Awesome. The bad - my camera died. I dropped it while it was turned off several weeks ago and it has worked fine ever since. Not anymore. I am going to perform minor surgery on it, perhaps I got some sand in it. (I am in Africa, after all!). Our tour leader, Kath, is going to loan me hers because we head into Serengeti and the Ngrongoro Crater this week and I would be devastated not to have pictures of that experience! I'll buy a new one in Thailand if I can. If not, Mendy will be doing some last minute camera shopping for me before she heads to Sydney! The ugly - we took a ferry from Dar es Salaam on Thursday morning to Zanzibar. Our truck dropped us off at a petrol station where we unloaded our bags and got organized before walking to the ferry. Not 10 minutes after we walked towards the ferry did the petrol station explode. Several people were injured and we could hear the sirens. Crazy. Divine intervention I suppose.

Medical update: I stupidly walked down a crowded street in Zanzibar trying to open a lollipop with my swiss army knife and sliced my finger open. Note to self: do not ever walk down a crowded street with a knife and try to open a lollipop all at the same time. I had a slight stomach issue leaving Zimbabwe, but nothing that Pepto Bismal couldn't cure. I reckon it's all the unhealthy food I ate as Zimbabwe has no fruit or vegetables due to the cholera epidemic! Finally, I got hit in the shoulder by the rear view mirror of a car while walking down an alley in Stone Town (Zanzibar). I really must pay more attention to where I am walking!

We head to Serengeti and the Crater this week - I have looked forward to this part more than anything. Still have to see a rhino and a leopard to cover the Big 5! A week from today, I fly to Bangkok. I am not ready to leave Africa and I can't believe how quickly it has gone! Will write more and post more pictures from the last few weeks in Thailand!

Chris Pesti - happy 34th! Mendy - happy 40th! Candi - happy birthday! And, to whomever else had a birthday, an anniversary, etc...hope it was lovely!

Having a blast in Tanzania....

5 comments:

  1. I "had" a great story about my experiences driving on the wrong side of the road all over the UK....however, after you nearly exploded and tried to cut your finger off opening a lollipop (WTF Jamie...seriously!), my story no seems sucky. Thanks Jamie. I really appreciate it. Enjoy your last week on the continent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely NUTS about the gas station. Thank goodness you guys got out of there.

    And thanks for the advice, I think everyone will now stop and think before they start opening lollipops with knives on crowded streets while walking, hehe. Hope the thumb is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Barden we are mssing you already here on Zanzibar! Sice your departure the sun has rarely shone and i have been graced with a bout of illness. I am seriously considering that its a cold turkey type reaction to alcohol withdrawal and so Holmes and I shall be enjoying sundowners at the Z hotel tonight as a medical measure pre-Kili. Hope the Crater brings everything y'all dreamed off
    keep in touch lady
    ly
    ps To keep Dee posted 'apparently' the warrier in question is in custody but maintains she was inebriated and dumb enough to lose her camera all on her own (forgetting the other things she was dumb enough to do)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have liked to seen a picture or better yet a small video clip of you attempting to open a lollipop in a crowded street. I know how good those things can be but lets try to utilize some will power next time and stop to open it with a sharp object in a crowded street corner.
    That is crazy about the gas station. How bad was the explosion? That is a crazy story!! Be safe. Take to you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie Kay, Are you trying to give me more gray hairs & a heart attack at the same time??...petrol station explosions, swimming with crocs, cutting a finger, almost loosing a toe, falling from a "gone wild" horse, jumping off a platform (in a handstand postion, no less) into Vic Falls...could there be anymore?? I DO HOPE there are no "adrenaline packages" in Thailand & Australia! Seriously, I'm all for you "experiencing things"...yes, I am, BUT,...how about being alittle calmer in Thailand, at least. Then, on to bridge climbing and scuba diving in Aussieland. :)

    I love you so much and admire you beyond belief,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete