Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hello Africa!


After 30+ hours and 4 flights, I was happy to find my new home away from home in Cape Town, South Africa. Flights were great, other than when I watched Marley & Me on the DC to Dakar, Senegal leg and woke up the nice South African man next to me because I was sobbing so loudly!
The agenda today: sleeping off the jet lag, getting to know the city centre and watching the sunset from the top of Table Mountain. I succeeded! You know you are comfortable in a city when you can give other tourists directions - I helped a British couple find the water front and was able to direct my taxi driver successfully to the market this evening! Everyone is very friendly and helpful on the streets.
I have now seen the northernmost point of Europe and the southernmost point of Africa...Cape Good, visible from the top of Table Mountain. The sunset was breathtaking. I am truly blessed to have seen both the sun rise and set over the Atlantic. The weather has been beautiful...upper 70's today but colder and windy on top of the mountain.
Animal report: Thanks to all of you for your vote of confidence in the mosquito attacking me first. (a side note: at least 11 of my blog followers voted for the elephant or the lion...who are you!?). The truth is that I was attacked by a bird on the top of Table Mountain. I bought a nice bottle of South African red wine, some crackers and cheese to enjoy while watching the sunset. I was mid-bite when a bird flew right into my face and grabbed my gouda off the cracker. Erica, you would have died! I screamed, everyone looked at me and then I spilled my wine. Tragic. Also, I saw a 5' seal in the harbor and some strange beaver looking animal on the top of the mountain!
On tap for tomorrow: Wine tour of the Stellenbach region. Shark diving on Friday. Great whites are in the water now, along with a type of whale that we'll also get to see. I'll update again after the wine and sharks! Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. My question is this....if the birds are that agressive, what must the men be like??? Note to Erica, cross South Africa off the honeymoon list! Glad to hear you made it safely and are enjoying every minute!

    Love, LAM

    ReplyDelete