Sunday, July 5, 2009


More than once since arriving in Cape Town, I have found myself smiling for no real reason at all. This is an amazing city, and I hope that all of you have a chance to visit! The wine tour was a nice, relaxing way to see the country side. Two of the most notable vineyards we visited were Villiers and Fairview. You can buy both in the States. Fairview produces the 'Goats do Roam' line...I saw goats there and ostriches were mating on the vineyard! We also passed the Graham Beck Vineyard, but did not stop.
Since I am writing this, I obviously survived the cage shark diving! It was an absolutely awesome adrenaline rush! There were 4 sharks, ranging from 6' to 11'. I went into the cage twice. The second time in, they dragged the bait line just over the cage and the shark actually bit the cage! The cage shook and then the shark whipped around and thrashed the cage with its tail. I screamed more than a few expletives! You can see the cage at the bottom of the picture! We saw a family of baboons on the way to Gansbaai where we went out to see the sharks. Also, the whales that are mating now are the Southern Right Whale. Only saw one of those, which was good for me because it was my first!!
I went on a half day township tour that took us through some of the most impoverished areas of the world I have ever seen. I will be starting a fundraiser when I return to help one area get supplies for the children. Over 1,000,000 are living in shacks with no running water, little electricity, etc. The amazing thing is that all of the people that I met and talked to were very happy. Yet another illustration that 'things' do not define happiness.
One thing that I would be happy to have on the trek I leave for in 20 minutes is a toilet! We've been told that while traveling on the bus, if we need to use the restroom, they'll pull over on the side of the road. They have a 'pooper scooper' that we'll use to bury our #2's. It's going to be an adventure to say the least! There are 27 people on the tour, mostly females. That will be an adventure too! ;) Will write more at the next opportunity. Until then, miss you and love you all! (Mom, sorry my calling card ran out without getting to say that to you!)

9 comments:

  1. I was wondering how many posts it would take before Jamie started talking about poop. Unsurprisingly, it happened in Post #2. How appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jamie, it's Lori Walker from high school. If you have a chance there is a wine called Pearly Bay....it's from South Africa and it's a red wine. Probably one of the best I've had so far. You can't get it in the states, so if you find it, try it. I think what you are doing it awesome. I really don't know why you are. I haven't found where that is written yet, but I will be routing for you the entire way and hope every minute is a wonderful adventure.......well except for pooping on the side of the road and sleeping that long on the floor, but those sucky things will only make you stronger in the end.....HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JKB, hope the bus didn't have to pull over too many times! I look forward to reading all of these entry's, so far so good. I need to see pics of these sharks. Hope your diving partner was fun, wink wink. If I could, I would have loved to join you in Capetown and go wine tasting. Maybe in a few years we can meet in San Fran and do the Napa thing. Party on Wayne! Hope the african wild treats you well. Thinking of you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shark diving looks awesome! Any pictures of you in the cage?

    Are you getting butterflies yet? ; )

    Gonna miss you at my birthday party on Friday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jamie Kay!! Shark diving sounds so badass. I cannot believe that my sister was swimming with great white sharks. I am very jealous of you and all the adventures/experiences you will be having on your trip. Emphasis on the experiences part, you never really get to see how much is taken for granted in our everyday lives, until you see people that do not have these luxuries and see them much happier than we are. Be safe. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jamie!! Sounds like things are going well! I am happy to know that you survived the shark diving. I am loving reading your blog... hope you are still enjoying it even if you have to sleep on the ground and there are no bathrooms. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jamie, I LOVE reading your blogs and cannot wait to hear about the safari so far! I think about you a million times a day. I bought a good world atlas and google everywhere you are going. Every morning I read all the info (just 6 hrs. behind though)and I'm there with you in spirit. We are all so anxious to hear about everything you are seeing and doing!! I love you sweetheart and am just so proud of you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the posts. Rob, I did that just for you and have already shared the 'Team Bowlby and the Outside Cat' story with the group. They didn't get it...!! Lori, I've always wanted to travel the world and finally made time to do it! I'll end in China where I start school in September. Julie, have had to pull over more than i'd like to admit. Shark pictures are awesome. A chick from CA has pictures of me in the cage, but she hasn't emailed them to me yet. i'll upload when i can! Sarah, sadly, no butterflies yet. Gayle, first true bush camp is tonight. keep your fingers crossed for me. Mom/Gerad - love you both. Miss you too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just like Nemo, we are now giving you the official title of "SharkBait"! Take care!

    James

    ReplyDelete