Saturday, July 18, 2009

Week Two: Namibia

Greetings from Botswana! We crossed the border into Botswana this morning, and the border patrols are so casual compared to the States. We also had to cross a foot and mouth disease checkpoint where we had to carry a pair of shoes and wear a pair and rub them both in some kind of solution. I have 3 other pairs in my pack, guess they aren't worried about the diseases I might have on those shoes!
Cheetah Park and Etosha National Park were awesome. They are rehabilitating wild cheetahs at the park. We went on a ride in the back of a truck (wide open!) where they fed the cheetahs donkey meat. It was awesome because the cats all got really aggressive and fought for the meat. I took what the group has voted a 'national geographic worthy' picture of a cheetah jumping in the air for the meat, but I can't upload pictures from the internet cafe today unfortunately! Next time!
In Etosha, we saw a bunch of giraffes, elephants, zebras, wildebeests, impalas, warthogs, springbok, oryx, kudu...the list goes on and on! 5 lions over the course of two days. Highlights of the game drive: a zebra stampede and a pair of lions mating. It appears that I seem to move animals to mate - they've done it everywhere I have been so far! ;)
Here's a little bit about a typical day on the trek. We get up anywhere between 4:45 and 6:00 AM. Breakfast is typically cereal and fried eggs. We are on the truck (fits 30, we picked up two more people so we're full!) for about 4-5 hours a day heading to our next destination. I read, listen to music, sleep and watch the beautiful landscapes pass us by. My favorite times on the truck are when we slam on the brakes because a herd of cows, donkeys or goats (not sheep - I know the difference!) are running across the street. Most of the roads in Namibia were not paved, they've been good in Botswana and were in South Africa. Made for a bumpy few hours! Depending on when we arrive at the next campground, we'll either eat lunch there or stop on the side of the road for a picnic. Lots of veggies, sandwiches, pasta salads, fruit - much better than I had anticipated. At the campground, I usually go for a hike exploring what's around and get organized. It gets dark at about 5:30 here, so we start a campfire and then all sit around together and drink. I've become a big fan of boxed wine because it travels well and it's South African wine, so much better than what you get at home. We tell stories, laugh and try to figure out where we're going the next day. Dinner usually consists of some kind of veggie, meat and a starch. The trek has well exceeded my expectations!
Time has slowed significantly for me and I think no more than about 12 hours ahead anymore! It's a wonderful feeling...my only stress is what to wear the next morning! I think I'd also like to retract my statement about not being able to survive camping. I actually am really liking it. I like the simplicity of carrying everything I need in one bag and not knowing what the next place I'll sleep will look like. Trine and I are masters at setting up the tent. We time ourselves and have cut our time from 5:35 to 3:52 seconds. Talk about improvements in efficiency! I have forgotten what it's like to wear make up. Contrary to what a lot of you might think, I am showering daily.
The weather is crazy here. I've never been in anything like it. It gets down to the 30's and 40's as soon as the sun goes down, and pushes up into the upper 80's and 90's about an hour after the sun comes up. Makes dressing each morning a real challenge! Thank goodness I bought the 20 degree sleeping bag, I've been plenty warm each night! My malaria meds have made me extremely sensitive to the sun, so I'm wearing a lot of sunscreen - sun is hot so near the Tropic of Capricorn!
Tomorrow we head into the Okavango Delta for two nights of game hunting in wooden canoes with the locals and bush camping (no showers or toilets for two nights!). Then, we're off to the Chobe National Park where we'll see a lot more game. I finally feel like I've gotten to Africa! It was such a great feeling to see an elephant, giraffe, zebra and lion in the wild for the first time...almost surreal.
Having a blast..thinking of all of you often! Thanks for the comments to the blog! It's great to hear from you. Will write after Chobe!

9 comments:

  1. Jimbo!! You've always been one of my heroes, but now you're one of my idols. I want to make a tiny little statue of you to put on my bookshelf. I'm enjoying living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie's most significant learning experience on her trip so far....Being able to tell the difference a goat, which has horns and no wool and a sheep, which has no horns and wool. Well played Jamie, well played indeed!!! I am glad that you are getting used to your sleeping mat and that everything is going so well for you. Shark diving, feeding cheetahs, lions banging, what else is next? Everything sounds so awesome. Please try to post the pictures of the cheetahs. Be safe!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie!! It is so amazing to read your stories. I will have to send Kat a msg and let her know you are loving the trip as much as she did. I hope you get to see some of the beautiful butterflies soon! Can't wait to see the pics soon. Safe travels. Love Sejal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jamie
    Great fun reading your blog, sounds all so familiar! Reading your stories makes me remember the great time I've had while being on this trip. Isn't is amazing how quickly you get used to sitting in the bus for long hours but so content just watching the scenery pass by without any worries! Loved it! Enjoy the Delta, it is a special place (and take lot's of Mosquito Repellent!!!) Now I know what it feels like sitting at work and reading somebody elses travel stories :-) Thanks for sharing! Makes me thinking about my next longer trip... )
    Hasta pronto
    Nath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything sounds amazing! How crazy that the temperature ranges 60 degrees every day. That's an entire year's worth of temperature changes here in NC...

    Are you really going to hunt?? Is this mostly desert, mostly mountains, or somewhere in between?

    Good luck without a toilet. You Outside Cat, you! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with James...You are my hero & my idol!!! I must have read this update one hundred times and still am absolutely amazed at what all you are experiencing!! I want to do this,too!! :) Are you going to do the "Sleep-out" at Chobe NP?...and let me know which excursion you're doing when you get to Victoria Falls...ok? Can't wait to hear about the Mokoro Excursion And, how was it with no toilet?? Glad to hear you & Trine are getting SO good at putting up your tent!! :) Tell her HI.
    I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Tigertown...
    Wow! We are so glad you are enjoying the full experience of Africa! When reading your blog I feel like I'm there with you--thanks for the details. Sounds like you've met some really neat folks--I'm on the lookout for some South African wine in a box! I have a picture of Vic Falls at home from 20+ years ago--it is drop dead gorgeous and inspiring.
    Quick update on Lenna--she was offered the Dean of Business and Public Services in Greenville, SC--she has accepted.
    Looking forward to your next update!!
    Hugs
    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie,

    I am loving keeping up with your blog and so excited to hear about your great adventures. I lost Misty to kitty heaven yesterday and am very sad, so adopt a lion or tiger for me and name it Misty. Be safe and can't wait to hear about where you are next!

    Best wishes,
    Candi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kamie J, you are an inspiration! Getting all Walden Pond on us too. So great to read about all of your adventures, I could read pages of this stuff. I really can't wait to see pics and I'm glad your adventure will continue for several more months, this is what it's all about. XO, Julie

    ReplyDelete