Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween in Beijing!





Halloween turned out to be a lot of fun in Beijing! There were quite a few people dressed up and out and about in bars and clubs around the University (Haidian) District. I dressed as a guy magnet, which was quite fun to say the least. The Jihad guy in the picture was the funniest-dressed that I 'attracted'!

Leaving the club at 4 AM, imagine my surprise to find that it was SNOWING! I can thank the government for seeding the clouds to make it snow to combat a lingering drought in Northern China. The temperature dropped below 32, so they again shot chemicals into the air to produce some precipitation. I'm all for trying to protect the crops in order to feed the 1.3 billion people here, but it was freezing! It wasn't 100% terrible because the snow made Beijing look clean and the air was the purest that it has been since I've arrived.

I went to the infamous Silk Market on Saturday to finish Christmas shopping (had to get it done early so that it would make it home in time!). It was a crazy experience! About 8 floors packed with vendors selling everything from toilet brushes to fake Louis Vuitton bags. They grab you, talk to you and follow you just to get you to come to their booth and buy something. I vowed to only shop at booths where the vendors did not touch me or shout at me - it was my way of rewarding what I consider sane behavior!

I went to a nearby street market today to pick up some warmer socks and a long-sleeved t-shirt(2 socks and a t-shirt cost me $3.50...stuff is really cheap on the street!). The lady who managed the t-shirt booth looked at me and said, "this one will fit...it will stretch around your fat". I almost fell over I was laughing so hard. The lady laughed too and I bought the t-shirt. She was right! One of my most favorite experiences while traveling is connecting with someone from another culture through genuine laughter.

Mei Xian, my roommate, is being introduced to Western culture on a daily basis. Christian, you'll be pleased to learn that she is now a big fan of Prince. Also, I taught her the Gator Chomp and she does it anytime I mention the Gators. It's fantastic!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad things are going better. Hopefully your immune system is stronger now that it is being pushed to the limits in that environment. I want to come over and hang out. I do not know if I will be able to make it. you need to let me know what you are doing. I don't know if you can download songs over there, but if you can download Marilyn Manson's "Working Class Hero" It is a nice little ditty that puts a smile on my face. It sounds like Halloween was fun, it was pretty slow here, nothing too crazy> I hope you are doing well and having fun. I miss you and Love you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you got the M&M's just in time for Halloween and your Halloween cards. Are you riding Dexter in all that snow? You made a memory with the T-shirt lady. :) Can't wait to see what you got for us from the quiet vendors at the Silk Market. We need the China government to "seed for rain" here in Florida. I want to come and hang out with you,too. Keep us posted when the best time to come will be...I'm sitting "on go!" I love you and miss you, too!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete