Monday, November 30, 2009

Acupuncture & Twigs




My listening exam turned out to be an epic failure. I honestly felt like I understood everything they were saying...how wrong I was! I guess it's similar to the many times when my roommate for the 2+ years before leaving for this trip and one of my best friends, Chris, would tell me his plans for the weekend and what he was making for dinner. I would ask him what his plans were for the weekend and what he was making for dinner an hour after he told me. I guess I'm not a good listener...even in English!

I went to a Chinese doctor over the weekend to try out traditional Chinese medicine. The hospital that Ashley and I went to was just as hectic and crowded as the regular hospitals I visited a couple of months ago. In the pictures, you'll see the 'pharmacy' where the nurses are filling herbal prescriptions. I got in trouble for taking the picture - I suppose they don't want people sharing the crazy things they give you!

I had to make up a reason to see the doctor because I'm thankfully not sick right now. So, I used my standard allergy problems, my lower back pain (try sleeping on hard wood for 3 months!) and my right knee joint as my 'ailments' to get in to see the doctor.

My doctor was easily in her early 70's (people work a lot longer here than in the States because there's no such thing as Social Security. In China, typically your child is your retirement plan). After Ashley and I told her what was 'wrong' with me, she took my pulse on both wrists and looked at my tongue. She asked me if I'd been sleeping and if I was digesting foods 'regularly'. I told her she sounded like my Mother! (I love you Mom!) After this line of questioning, she said, "you have a bad stomach". That was it. Nothing to address my allergies, back or right knee.

My prescription: acupuncture and some herbal liquid medicine. She put about 20 needles in my wrists, stomach, shins and feet. It wasn't the most comfortable thing I've ever done, but I managed to sit still for a solid 20 minutes. Imagine this: you're walking through a forest. You pick up dried twigs, weeds, grass, dead flowers and whatever else you can find on the ground. Now, grind those up, boil them and put them in little bags. I'm pretty sure that's what my herbal medicine is made of (or at least how it tastes!). Needless to stay, my stomach isn't getting what it supposedly needs because it's too disgusting to drink!

This weekend I'm finally going to the crazy food street to try out all the interesting things they have to offer. Also, I'm having a party in my room at 5 AM on Sunday morning to watch the Gators beat Alabama! Go Gators!

Zai jian!

1 comment:

  1. You are a good listener...probably just a case of "short-term memory"...like me!! Would you recommend acupuncture? I'm interested in trying it. "Regularity" is very important in the whole scheme of things...even the 70 year old Chinese lady thinks so. :)

    GO GATORS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete