Thursday, July 1, 2010

Manali





The last week – I can’t believe a week has gone by already! – since our Himalayan skiing adventure has been wonderful. Gundula and I have been hiking almost everyday. Yesterday, we went on a long trek into the woods. An adorable golden retriever, who I named Copper, came along with us. For a good ½ km, a cow also joined the walk. It was hilarious – Gundula, a black cow, a golden retriever and me walking through the forest!

We went to a small carnival in New Manali…yak rides, alpine bunny holding, snake charmers, a carousel, cotton candy. We were by far the most popular visitors, judging by how many people wanted to take pictures with us! We went to the Harimba Temple where a chicken had been sacrificed just before our arrival – fresh blood and feathers still littered the floor. I saw a black scorpion just before I stepped on it and witnessed a parade to welcome an Indian dignitary, not in that order.

We went to a hot spring bath house in a nearby village. The men went to one side, women to the other. I wore my bathing suit and had intentions to get all the way in, but after dipping my toes in I realized that it was way too hot! Also, on the women’s side, only very small children were actually getting all the way in and showing skin. I have heard that Indians, men and women, are never nudes…but haven’t gathered the nerve to ask anyone if it’s true or not just yet. Maybe Tobias could start a spin off from Arrested Development in India!? (I’d be curious to know how many of you have a clue what I’m talking about!?!)

Jindu, the guesthouse owner where we are staying, and his wife come and chat with us everyday on the balcony. We talk with his wife over chai about the fact that neither Gundula nor I are married or have children and that we’re both over 30! Our lives seem to fascinate her…she is with Jindu through an arranged marriage and she has been living there for over 25 years. Definitely a different path than I have taken! Thankfully, they are happy in the marriage and have had three beautiful children. Jindu and I sit on the balcony and share local charas…we talk about Western vs. Indian culture, education, politics…so great to get talk with a locals and learn their perspective.

I went across the river strapped in a harness…freezing glacier water and a great ab workout! We have done a lot of reading, journal writing and gazing into the mountains. I have spent a lot of time in the Magic Forest, a nature park nearby. The trees are so tall and the effect on the lighting from below is truly magical. Tomorrow morning, despite our better judgment probably, we are back on a bus for what we’re told is a 10 hour bus ride to the Spiti Valley, farther north still into the Himalayas. The pictures I have seen look incredible…looking forward to seeing it with my own eyes!

2 comments:

  1. JAMIE! Way to work in a never-nude reference. It would be cool if all Indians were wearing cut-off jean shorts at the bath house, haha. Love the mental picture of you, Gundula, Copper, and Bessie walking through the Indian woods together. I feel like it's a Disney movie waiting to happen... Did you get the urge to break out into song? Keep up the blogging, you've been going strong for a year now (WOW!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I also just noticed that only MEN and boys are in the 3rd picture you posted. What's up with that? I wanna see some Indian chicks getting down at the parade! Although if your hostess thinks unmarried 30 year olds are shocking maybe I shouldn't be surprised...

    ReplyDelete