Tuesday, June 29, 2010

One Year In!!

One year ago today, I boarded a plane bound for South Africa. My dream of traveling the world for an entire year has come true. It has been an unbelievable journey and by far the best year of my life.

In the last year, I have been cage diving with great white sharks, watched lions hunt gazelles and zebras, snorkeled in the Great Barrier Reef, climbed the Great Wall of China, trekked with Komodo Dragons, skied in the Himalayas and smiled and laughed with countless strangers. I got to share precious time and China with my Mom and got to watch her dance in the People’s Park in Chengdu. I saw my first opera in the Sydney Opera House with my dear friend Mendy. It is amazing to think of all that I have seen and experienced. More importantly, I have met incredible people, who I am now proud to call friends, from all over the world. Above all, I have gotten to know myself and that has meant more to me than words can express.

Before leaving, a lot of people asked me what I wanted to accomplish or said something like ‘I hope you find whatever it is you’re looking for’. The truth is that this trip was always about the journey, about the experiences, whatever may come. In doing so, I have found so much more than I initially hoped to discover about the world and about myself.

I hoped that time would slow down – no alarm clock, no real schedule. Time, unfortunately, does not slow down. My pace is slower now and I am a lot calmer. I can appreciate down time now, even times of boredom, and no longer have the feeling that if I’m not doing something, I’m wasting time – that it really is okay and even really healthy to slow down, even stop, to smell the proverbial roses!

I have learned to be more patient with people and situations which I cannot control. I have learned to be more trusting and to not be so skeptical. I have realized that I need to open my heart for the possibility of love and am excited about the future, whatever that might bring. As much as I am excited for the future, I have and continue to try to focus on being present in the moment – fully conscious of what is going on around me. It is a wonderful thing to experience ‘now’.

I have observed that the people with the fewest things are the happiest and the most at peace. Sitting Sunday night watching the Germany vs. England game and cheering with people from all over the world, I was struck by how borders seem such an antiquated notion and how much the same we really all are. We all want joy in our lives and the best for our friends and family... peace, friendship, laughter and love. I have learned to be grateful for these and so many other things.

On the practical, day-to-day side of things, I’ve learned a ton too. First, my thoughts on essential items to pack on a round-the-world trip in 365+ days: a head torch/flashlight, MP3 player, Swiss army knife and sewing kit. I would not have survived without them. Good shoes are really important, so is a good jacket! Sometimes, it’s better to fly. If it gets wet, it will eventually dry. Traveling without a schedule and without a guidebook is absolutely the way to go – just let things happen, flow and see what happens! Urine can be used for a lot more than meets the eye. Never enter a bathroom without your own tissues. Always say yes! Follow your heart…

Writing this blog has been such a rewarding and enjoyable exercise. I appreciate you taking the time to read it and share in my experiences! To everyone who talks to my Mom about my blog: thank you. She never fails to mention your thoughts on my latest escapade when I talk to her! Writing it makes me laugh and I hope it has made you laugh at times too.

Three months ago, I never imagined that I would be in India at the one year mark. As I write this, I am sitting on grass next to the Beas River, which flows with so much power. I am surrounded by green trees, mountains, blue skies and can feel a cool breeze. I continue to be amazed by how beautiful our planet is, how precious life is and how happy and thankful I am to be a part of it.

4 comments:

  1. Love and miss you!! So VERY proud of you my friend! Enjoy every minute as I know you will, and hope to see you soon (though not that soon) :) Mendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome...simply awesome. It was great talking to you the other day even though you spent most of the time laughing in your bedazzled army hat! Keep enjoying the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had goose bumps and tears the entire time I read your "One Year In" blog. Jamie, what an inspiring testimonial!! Like Gerad said, "You are my hero." I miss you ( we all miss you), but don't come home until your heart tells you to. "Keep enjoying the journey," ... well said James!! Tons of love is always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there are no words, you said it all. What an inspirational post. I'm proud to call you a friend. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete