Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fraser Island & Byron Bay




The last week has been amazing. Fraser Island was one of the coolest places I have ever seen - massive rain forests and trees with over a 10' diameter, lakes perfectly clear and sand everywhere! Lake McKenzie is in the picture above, crystal clear deep blue water. Also, I walked through a creek that was perfectly clear...the water is almost up to my knees in the picture! I saw lots of dingo footprints and the back of one as it ran into the bush, but didn't actually see one. Next time! We did see tiger sharks, manta rays and humpback whales from Indian Head, one of the largest cliffs on the eastern side. I also took a short flight above the island to gain a perspective of just how large it is...we took off and landed from the sand...tires in the water. Very cool! The pictures I took are amazing...too many to post!

Byron Bay is one of the most laid back, hippie places I've visited...similar to Christiana in Denmark except on the Pacific! I made fast friends with several people from the backpackers lodge where I stayed. I drank, danced, laughed and hung out on the beach with people from all over Europe, Japan, Israel and Australia. I love meeting people with different backgrounds who come from different cultures! There are a surprising number who have quit their jobs to travel. I met a nice Canadian guy...we hung out on the beach until 4 one morning talking, laughing and watching brilliant shooting stars and the Cape Byron lighthouse light flash every 30 seconds or so. I sat in a park one afternoon and listened to two guys play the bongo drum and guitar. I considered very seriously becoming a hippie, growing dreads, not showering ever and sitting in the park all day long just existing. I've decided to keep on the path I'm on for now, but the lifestyle they have is so relaxed!

Animal watch: on my hike up to the lighthouse and the eastern most point of Australia, a red-bellied black snake was about 2 feet from the trail. Luckily, an Aussie couple was walking with me and they informed me that the snake was one of the deadliest in Australia. No need to worry because I stay as far away from snakes as possible whenever I see one! Also, this morning I went on a 4 hour whale watch to observe the humpback whales in their annual migration back to Antarctica after mating in the warmer waters north of Byron Bay. It was incredible. We saw probably 15 whales. Three marine researchers were on board our tiny boat, and they brought a hydrophone so that we could listen to the male whale's mating song. It was magical to hear. I was one of the few on the boat lucky enough to see a massive (20'-25') whale fully breach the water. There was at least 4' of air underneath him. It was incredible!! The picture above is what I tried to capture of the end of the breach. Definitely worth the trip to see that in person...just like on National Geographic!

On a personal note, it turns out that I should probably not self-diagnose anymore. I finally went to a chemist (pharmacist) who told me I was having a bad reaction to sand flies and not bed bugs. Makes me feel much better, and they have all but cleared up. I am glad that I am very comfortable laughing at myself because after a day at the beach, I decided to walk the mile plus back to the hostel instead of taking the shuttle. I wore a sundress over my bathing suit and had my day pack on my back. When I got back to the hostel, I realized that the sundress was tucked under my day pack in the back. I am really glad I didn't go commando from the beach! Very embarrassing because I have no idea how long my dress was hiked up in the back, possibly from the beach, through city center and up the stairs to my room at the hostel!! ;) Oh well!

This will be my last post from Australia. I am in Brisbane tonight and fly back to Sydney tomorrow morning. I am staying with Kath's (my tour leader from Africa) older brother Dave. He has a house on the beach in Manly, just outside of Sydney. He's taking me out on his boat to tour the Sydney Harbour on Saturday before we meet out with another couple I met in Africa, Kate and Eddie, for dinner. I can't think of a better way to end my time in Australia!

Get ready China, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. I got goosebumps from looking up close at the whale picture. I can't believe you got to see that, it must have been so amazing. And to get to hear them too, wow!

    Glad to hear that you didn't get eaten by bedbugs. Although ever since I've read your last post I am paranoid about bed bugs. (I have been getting mysterious small bites all over me lately.)

    It's awesome you're meeting so many new people. When you get back to the States, they'll have to come visit! I can't wait to see pictures from your new home-away-from-home (China apartment) too!

    ReplyDelete