Thursday, September 24, 2009

Chinese is Hard

Ni hao! Since my last post, I've explored some of Beijing, gotten to know my community in Wudakou and realized that I am way over my head here at the Beijing Language and Culture University! I checked out the night club scene with some new friends from school, and it appears that a club in Beijing is just like a club at home - loud music, smoke and lines at the bar. The main difference is the 'long drop' toilet (i.e it's an Eastern toilet...a ceramic hole in the ground and no toilet paper provided. Anywhere.).

Saturday night I experienced my first Chinese neighborhood restaurant. We picked vegetables and meats on skewers (no idea what kind, mind you!), then a few types of noodles and sauces. Not knowing what to expect, we ended up several minutes later with two pretty delicious noodle soups with peanut sauce. The meat was questionable...I couldn't stomach it! I might consider becoming a vegetarian while here because I have had at least three meals where I just couldn't handle the "meat"! The best part about the food here, ignoring the fact that you don't know what you're eating, is that it is crazy cheap. Three of us ate two large bowls of noodles, vegetables and meats for less than $4 total! After dinner, we went to a battle of the bands rock show, highlighting some of Beijing and China's most popular rock bands. Nirvana has definitely influenced the rock music scene here. It was pretty decent music even though I couldn't understand a word of what they were singing! It's exciting to see the transformation that the rock culture is going through here because only 5+ years ago, rock music was banned. It's like stepping back into the 60's in the States!

Sunday I braved the bus system all by myself and went to tour the Olympic Park. Tourists are able to walk through the Water Cube and the Bird's Nest. I got chills looking at the pool where Phelps dominated and at the track where Bolt set world records that might not be broken in my lifetime - very cool! The entire park is massive...very impressive architecture. I can see why the Chinese were so proud to host the Olympics!

I started school this week. Trying to learn the Chinese language will absolutely be the most difficult thing I ever do. Not only are we learning to read and write Chinese characters, we are simultaneously having to learn the pin yin, or English pronunciation of the Chinese characters. Basically, I'm learning two languages at once...it's been very challenging so far! There are 18 students in my class from all over the world...Sudan, Sierra Leone, Mongolia, Russia...it's a very diverse group. Luckily, we're all struggling together to understand what we've gotten ourselves into! In addition to school, I started Tai Chi classes this week. It is very relaxing and meditative. Our instructor is an older Chinese man. He uses the most hilarious examples in English to explain the form or position we should be in. One of my favorites, "pretend you hold 3 babies in your arms. don't make babies upset!" (I think he means to pretend like you're holding a bowl in your arms, but don't squeeze too hard!?!?)

My typical week will look something like this: 8-12 class, lunch, nap, study, gym, dinner, study, sleep. It's like I'm back in college again, except this is WAY HARDER than any class I ever took at UNF or UF! On the way to class each morning, I see older people in the community practicing Tai Chi or sword fighting in the park. In the afternoons, there are tons of people of all races and ethnicities out on the basketball courts, volleyball courts and soccer fields. I love being part of a multi-cultural community!

I'll have class for 8 days, then will be off for 8 days from October 1st through 9th for the Chinese National Day. It's their 60th anniversary as the People's Republic of China. There will be a lot of celebrations going on all over the country. I'll be leaving Beijing to head to Chengdu for the break. It's about a 4 hour train ride away - a smaller village with beautiful landscapes. It will be nice to get away with some friends for a week or so and explore another part of China!

That's all for now..time to get back to the books! Thanks, Gerad, for posting once more. A box with my name on it is on its way from the States (thanks Mom!) with my computer and winter clothes inside. I should be able to write my blogs in my pajamas by this time next week, assuming the box arrives safely! Zai jian! (good bye!)

No comments:

Post a Comment