Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I Can Move Things With My Mind







Day 1: Made friends with the baby lizard and ants in my room, which consists of a 3 inch thick pad on the ground and 3 blankets. Nothing else. Broke the rules already by taking two naps. Feeling hungover and tired from getting in at 4 AM after more than one tequila shot off an ice luge. Not the best way to start 10 days meditating in silence and wondering what I am doing here.

Day 2: A cat jumped in my lap while sitting 'meditation style'. It completely broke my concentration and I busted out laughing. Spent the rest of the day sneezing with watery, itchy eyes. During our silent breakfast, in which I was supposed to be mindfully eating my noodles with tofu and veggies, watched dogs propagating their species in the garden. Sleepy and thinking it will be a long time until the 28th.

Day 3: A shih tzu puppy humped my leg throughout breakfast. How are you supposed to mindfully eat with that going on?! Not as sleepy, feeling very relaxed. Sitting meditation going better. Glad I'm here. It's good for me!

Day 4: Played with the puppies before breakfast. They are adorable. Dogs were at it again during lunch...this girl gets around because it's with a new man. A cat rubbed on me during my walking meditation this afternoon and tried to get in my lap when sitting. Didn't want to sneeze, so didn't let her. Broke the rules by talking to two of the others...a Swiss woman and a Bulgarian lady. Feeling at peace, struggled midday with focusing. Feeling like my mind and heart are more connected.

Day 5: Puppies licked my face today...not sure if they have their shots or not. Oh well...too cute to resist. Had some good thoughts/insights come my way today. After the evening chanting session with the monks, a man came up to me and wished me good luck in finding goodness and the light. Touching. Very content right now. Heart/mind connection growing stronger and happy to be here. Also, all the monks seemed to have shaved their heads today. Hair cuts all around!

Day 6: Changed rooms last night because Buddha Day is today at the temple...lots of activity here! Woke up in this new room with bug bites all over my back. Not so clean, these temple floor mats. Also, broke the freezing cold shower...and all this before 6 AM! Carried a lotus flower around the stupa 3 times with all the monks chanting...what a beautiful experience. It is so meditative and soothing to listen to them chanting. Joined in on a few that I could find in my chant book...very cool that I've learned some Pali! It hurts my knees/legs to sit in the lotus style to meditate. Distracted today, some good practice but not much. 4 more days to go!

Day 7: New puppy joined the other 4...a beautiful Siberian husky. Cat jumped in my lap while meditating again. Armed with antihistamines, I let her sit in my hands and tuck her head under my arm and purr away. I still sneezed. There are going to be a lot of new puppies around here as the girl was at it again...another new partner. She's been with almost every male dog in the temple I think. Not feeling well. Stomach hurts. Skipping evening chanting. Bored. Home sick. Going to bed early.

Day 8: Skipped breakfast and slept in. A man slept in the women's dorm building last night. I have never heard such incredibly loud and irregular snoring before. Remarkable. Hard to focus today. At lunch, the Bulgarian lady broke the silence by saying, "I am so sick of this f*ing chanting". I busted out laughing. Absolutely hilarious. The Swiss woman whispered to me after lunch that she admired how slowly I ate. That's one I haven't heard before, and I guess it's better than she admired how much I could eat. This afternoon, walking meditation finally clicked. Feels good to be getting in control of my mind and aware of my body. I feel at peace and like I am glowing inside. I also feel like I might be able to move things with my mind.

Day 9: Finally went to the bathroom. All of this non-activity, non-stress, no food after noon stuff has wreaked havoc on my digestive system. Another husky joined the mix. 5 puppies now. The Swiss lady gave me candles and incense to use in my room because the stench from the temple's garbage pile is terrible on my side of the building. Best meditation yet was tonight during the evening chanting. Had to literally walk through the clouds to get to the temple. Meditations are going deeper than I've gone yet...wow. Had the thought that I should stay longer, but not prepared to stay longer. Will definitely continue this when I leave. Wow.

Day 10: Meditated during the morning changing session with the monks for the first time...finally got up early enough. Powerful stuff. Played with the puppies. The poodle/shih tzu mutt is my favorite. Read on the balcony this afternoon. Watched a beautiful, cloudy day float by over Chiang Mai below. A beautiful rainbow appeared. Evening chanting with monks, writing by candlelight, burning candles and incense, listening to the rain, drinking hot chocolate...the perfect ending to a wonderful and peaceful journey into myself.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it through your 10-day meditation retreat! Hope the peace and mind-heart restoration stays with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best parts are where the animals and people were breaking the rules : ) Were you supposed to be silent except for chanting for 10 days?? I want you to bring me back one of those fuzzy Ewoks in the second picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt in my mind you would break the silence by laughing! I appreciate the need to meditate and am in awe of those who do it daily, but there are too many hysterical moments in life to keep quiet! Gators won and looked pretty good so you might want to go back to meditation Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, I just love reading your posts....you need to write a book and get yourself on Oprah. What an adventure....what are you going to do when you get home?

    ReplyDelete