Monday, March 8, 2010

Goodbye China!











Xingping is officially my favorite city in China that I’ve visited. It’s calm, quiet, not too touristy and beautiful. It is definitely a place that I’d put on the itinerary if you’re planning a trip to China! I spent most of Friday relaxing – sleeping, reading, writing and walking around the village getting a feel for the place. There was hardly anyone around…one night there were only 2 of us staying at the only hostel in town (at less than $3/night, I felt bad that they even kept the place open at all!).

On Saturday, I met a nice American girl and together we took a bamboo raft from Xingping up to Yangdi on the Li River. Along the way, we saw the mountain range that is printed on the back of the 20 RMB note. It was a very peaceful, scenic and cold ride! After the boat ride, I climbed up to the top of the highest peak overlooking the river. You can see from the picture that the water level is extremely low right now...there's currently a massive drought in the south of China. From the top, there were beautiful views of the limestone peaks, the village and the river. [picture note: my nose looks like Rudolph's because it was/is....I've caught yet another cold and cannot stop blowing my nose...seriously, how much mucus can one person produce?!?!]

Saturday was also 'market day' in Xingping. I've been to several markets in China selling everything from fake bags to pajamas to vegetables. This one sold everything. And by everything, I mean live turtles, chickens, rabbits, geese, ducks, fish and dogs. This area of China is known for eating dog, something I refuse to do for a multitude of reasons. I turned a corner in the market and saw a dead dog, already hairless, being placed on a grill. Behind it, there was a cage full of dogs packed so tight that they could hardly move. It made me sick to my stomach to see such cruel and inhumane treatment of animals. When I am faced with situations like that which are so far removed from what I consider acceptable behavior, I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that this is their culture and how they live, and then run away as quickly as possible before vomiting and/or screaming at them. [picture note: you may not be able to tell from the picture, but there is a guy sleeping behind his pork stand where an entire pig has been cut up and laid out for sale!]

In addition to the market selling everything under the sun but mermaids, Xingping's dentist and doctor offices open right out to the street, patients in chairs. No such thing as patient privacy, or sanitary conditions, for that matter down south!

Waking up in Xingping on Sunday morning, freezing again, I realized that I am completely in charge of where I am going and what I am doing. I have no timeline and nothing forcing me to go one direction versus another. I am sick of the cold, so I decided to completely change my plan of heading to Vietnam. I’m heading to Hong Kong via an overnight bus tonight. This Friday, I land in Bali, Indonesia. I AM VERY EXCITED!

I met up with my Irish friends today for lunch. I also got probably the best back massage of my life for less than $9. She also massaged my knee caps, eye lids and nostrils – very thorough! It has been a relaxing few days…I had grand plans of rock climbing and biking around the area, but the weather is way too cold and rainy for outdoor adventures!

As this will be my last post from China, allow me to summarize my experience here. China is a roller coaster. One minute you love it, the next minute you hate it. One minute you’re a celebrity and everyone wants to take their picture with you, the next minute you’re invisible and people are pushing you in every direction to get ahead of you in line. One minute you’re enjoying the ride, the next minute you’re gripping the seat with white knuckles and saying your prayers as the taxi/bus driver plays chicken with oncoming traffic. One minute you’re walking peacefully along the street, the next minute someone hawks and spits or shoots a snot rocket right in your path. After 5 months and 22 days, I don’t regret coming here at all. China has been an incredible experience, but I’m ready to get off the ride. And one more thing, I’m damn proud and lucky to be from a democratic country.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a quick 5+ months. Bet you are glad to be moving on? Of course, where are you going now? Hope you are having the time of your life. Don't forget about us in the real world!

    James A.

    ReplyDelete